Hi we have launched a new feature today called Ask Beauty Mantra. In this series we will get the questions posted by our readers answered by experts. Today’s question is:
I’m very much worried about my frizzy, thin and less hair on scalp. I also have less hair on the crown part of my scalp. How to get rid of frizzy hair? Please suggest some egg less home remedies.
The solution is offered by Dr V.L. Shyam ayurvedic expert at Birla Kerala Vaidyashala.
Some Basics About Hair
Each individual hair is formed inside a hair bulb which is a tiny but powerful factory. Each hair grows generally between three to seven years, without interruption. During this time it will be shampooed, conditioned, cut, blown dry, exposed to sun and wind, colored or bleached.
None of these affects the growth of the hair in the hair bulb, even though some may seriously damage the hair shaft. Finally the follicle rests for a little while, and the hair falls out; and then starts to produce yet another new hair. This is the hair cycle. General health and nutritional factors are important for healthy hair growth. Some minerals & Vitamins may be particularly important for hair growth, especially, Zinc, Vitamin B. The hair cycle for each individual hair is also influenced by the levels of various hormones in the blood; thyroid hormones, androgens, oestrogens. Hair loss from the crown is seen in conditions of andogenic alopecia & iron deficiency. Consult a doctor to find out what’s causing the hairloss in your case. You may regularly take the vegetable, Asparagus – Shatavari (don’t overcook) & Amla and watch for some good results.
What Makes Hair Dry?
Malnutrition, climatic conditions with dry heat and little humidity, will make your hair dry, brittle and damaged. Washing your hair too often with harsh shampoos also take out the moisture. Heat from blow dryers, curling irons will also contribute to dryness. Dry hair is also a sign that your diet may be lacking in omega-3 essential fatty acids, which can be found in fish oil, walnuts and flax seeds.
Food For Healthy Hair
Ensure a hair-healthy eating habit which includes good source of Proteins (green gram, salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines); Calcium (milk and dairy products, green leafy vegetables); Selenium (mushrooms, cabbage, onions, wholegrain, garlic); Zinc (seafood, brewer’s yeast, wholegrain, wheat-germ); Magnesium (vegetables, legumes, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, milk); Biotin (liver, egg yolk, soy products, oats, nuts, carrots, sprouts) etc.
Home Remedy for Healthy Hair
- Apply castor oil before hair wash.
- Mix 1 table spoon Amla (Indian gooseberry) powder in 2 liters of water and boil. After cooling, this can be used for washing your hair, which gives luster to your hair.
- Don’t shampoo your hair very often. You could however rinse your hair and apply conditioner everyday or every alternate day.
- Hair conditioners that contain wheat, rice or corn proteins will repair damaged hair.
- Wash your hair with cold water as hot water increases frizziness.
- Do a ‘steam-towel-wrap’ once in a while (once in a fortnight) if your cuticles are damaged, as this steaming opens out the pores and absorbs the oil.
- Apply kunthala kanthi thailam on the scalp before head bath.
This expert solution is from Dr V.L. Shyam. Dr. Shyam is senior vice president operations Birla Kerala Vaidyashala Pvt Ltd.