Article written by Ms Sonali Kadam, Spa Manager Rebirth Spa.
Moisture, sweat, and summer sun can cause hair damage. Prolonged exposure to sun’s UVA and UVB rays can cause damage to the hair from cuticle to it’s inner structure. Signs of hair damage due to sun are:
- Faded hair color
- Dry and brittle hair
- Split ends
- Frizzy hairs
- Hair weakening and thinning
So here are some practical summer hair care tips.
Basic Summer Hair Care Precautions
Follow the five rules below. These are simple yet very effective way of managing your hair properly during summers.
- Protect your hair from direct sunlight. Wear a hat or scarf when going out in the sun.
- Avoid using blow dryers and curling irons
- Do not hot water for washing hair. Hot water can be extremely harmful. Use lukewarm water instead.
- Stay hydrated. We loose a lot of water in summers and become dehydrated without even realizing. Drink lots of water. This is good for skin as well.
- Avoid harsh chemical laden products. Use gentle products.
Hot Oil Treatments for Hair Rejuvenation
Hot oil treatment is ambrosia for hair. Applying hot oil on your hair and scalp provides natural miniaturization and conditioning.
Selecting the Right Oil for Hot Oil Hair Massage
Selecting the right oil is very important. Choose one “carrier oil” and one essential oil. Light oil is suited for thin hair while for thick or coarse hair heavy oil is beneficial. Some carrier oils to consider are:
- Jajoba OIl: Jajoba oil is very similar to oil secreted by skin and scalp. Therefore applying this oil on hair and scalp will not “weigh” it down. Hair will be soft and light
- Coconut Oil: If you have persistent dandruff or flaky scalp this is the best oil. Coconut oil is generally suitable for all hair types. So if you are confused which oil to choose go with coconut oil. It is a safe bet.
- Sesame Oil: Good natural conditioner and gives shine to hair. This oil is also suitable for all hair types. Sesame oil is also known to check hair fall and thinning.
- Avocado Oil: Good choice for dry frizzy hair. This oil is one of the most emollient and moisturizing oils.
- Other Choices: If you have money to spend oils like argan, almond, apricot etc are also good choices.
Some good choices for essential oil are rosemary oil, sage oil, peppermint oil.
How to Apply
- Add a few drops of essential oil to carrier oil. Adding essential oil is beneficial in conditions like weakness in hair due to harsh chemicals, hair fall, and hair thinning.
- Next warm the oil. Warm oil is absorbed easily.
- Before applying the oil part your hair into two. Best way to apply oil is with comb or cotton. This makes sure oil is distributed evenly. Using a comb to apply oil also gently massages the scalp. Comb in one direction with very little pressure. If applying with cotton, dip the cotton in oil and apply evenly on entire scalp and hair – from the base till tip. Don’t worry if dead hairs come out in this process.
- Massage: This is the most important step. Massage your scalp gently with fingertips in circular motion. This increases blood circulation to scalp which helps cell growth and healthy strong hair. Massage for about 20 minutes.
- To infuse oil deeper into the scalp dip a towel in warm water. Squeeze the towel to remove the extra water. Make sure water is sufficiently wet but no water is dripping. Now what you have is a warm towel. Cover your head with this towel. Cover the warm towel with a dry towel so that heat stays inside longer. Oil will go deeper into the scalp due to heat from the warm towel. Keep towel on for about 45 minutes.
- Wash Hair: Wash hair with mild shampoo. Use warm water. Using cold water will result in hair loss. After shampoo use mild conditioner.
After this treatment you will have healthier more beautiful hair.